During a Spousal or Partner Support Court Case

en español>

If you have decided to ask the court to order spousal or partner support, it is your responsibility to make sure that you get, fill out, file, and serve the correct court forms.

Remember: Before a spousal or partner support case can be started, you need to know where your former spouse or partner can be found. For information about ways to find him or her, click here.

Make sure that you follow each step in the process, and that you finish each step in the order it is listed.

Step 1: Get your court forms

Step 2: File your papers at court

Step 3: Give other party copies

Step 4: Tell the court copies given

Step 5: Exchange final information
Agreeing or needing a judge
Step 6: Prepare a week before your court hearing


At any time, you can:

  • Read answers for Frequently Asked Questions about spousal or partner support.
  • Read some general information about How Courts Work, click here. Opens new
  • Watch some videos with general information about how California's court system works, click here. Opens new
  • Watch some short videos with information on "Paperwork Basics" (forms), "Service of Process" and "Tips on Going to Court", click here. Opens new window


Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.