Who Can Ask for Spousal or Partner Support?

en español>

In California, court-ordered support may be requested by either of the former spouses of a marriage, or partners of a registered domestic partnership. It may be requested as part of a divorce, legal separation, or annulment, or in a domestic violence prevention case.

NOTE: Generally, people who were not ever married or in a registered domestic partnership cannot ask the court to order spousal or partner support.

Before a spousal or partner support request can be made, the person asking for payment needs to know where the person being asked to pay can be found so that court papers can be properly served Opens new window on him or her.

For information about what to do if the residence of one of the former spouses or partners is unknown, click here.

Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.