Small Claims


Handling a court case can be difficult and confusing. Please know that there are people who want to help. Sometimes it takes talking to several people before you can find the right person, so keep asking questions and talking to everyone you can. Don't give up!

Contra Costa County Court Locations, Maps and Directions

In Contra Costa County, Small Claims cases are heard in the main courthouse in Martinez and in 2 of the County's court branches.

Between 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, Monday through Friday, you may file your documents at the:

Martinez Courthouse
725 Court Street
Martinez, CA 94553
(925) 646-4099

Pittsburg Courthouse
1000 Center Avenue
Pittsburg, CA 94565
(925) 646-4099

Richmond Courthouse
100 - 37th Street
Richmond, CA 94805
(925) 646-4099

Child Custody and Visitation
Family Court Services provides mediation for child custody and visitation disputes.

Family Law Facilitators
Family law facilitators can give you information about family law cases. They can also help you fill out forms, help you figure out support amounts, and refer you to community agencies that help parents and children.

Free Legal Workshops and Clinics
The Court offers free legal workshops for domestic violence restraining orders, guardianship, elder law and small claims cases.

Probate Facilitator
The Probate Facilitator can answer questions by telephone or email, or in workshops. Get a list of workshops.

Small Claims Legal Advisor
The Small Claims Advisor gives free legal information about small claims cases.

Legal aid gives free legal services to people who are low-income.

Non-profits have other types of support like counseling and resources.

Here are some legal aid and other non-profit groups in Contra Costa County:

Bay Area Legal Aid
BayLegal provides legal information and representation.

Contra Costa County Crisis Center: 211 Data Base
The Crisis Center has 24-hour crisis lines, an information and referral program, and other services.

Contra Costa Senior Legal Services
Senior Legal Services provides free legal services to people who are sixty years of age or older.

Legal Services for Children
Legal Services for Children represents children and youth in many types of cases, including guardianship.

STAND! For Families Free of Violence
STAND! has many domestic violence prevention and treatment programs. can help you find other legal help.

Department of Child Support Services (DCSS)
DCSS establishes and collects child support.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
The DMV website can help you find the nearest office.

District Attorney Office
The District Attorney’s Office prosecutes people who break the law.

Public Defender
Public Defenders represent defendants in criminal, delinquency, and family law contempt cases.

Public Law Library
The Law Library can help you complete legal research.

Public Libraries
Public libraries have legal self-help books and online resources.

Sheriff's Department
The Sheriff's Department helps enforce some court judgments.

Victim Witness Assistance Program
VWAP is a program to support victims and witnesses after a crime, including domestic violence. The program guides victims through the legal system. It also directs them to services.

Vital Records
The County's Clerk Recorder Office has copies of birth, death, marriage and divorce records.

Contra Costa County Bar Association (CCCBA) has many services, including:

Lawyer Referral Service
For a small fee, you can be referred to a lawyer.

Limited Scope Representation
After discussing your case, you and the lawyer decide which parts of your case you can do yourself and which parts really need to be handled by the lawyer.

Moderate Means Program
If you qualify, you can be referred to an attorney who has agreed to charge a reduced hourly rate.

Resolving Disputes Together
Uses expert staff to help resolve conflicts without legal action.

Congress of Neutrals
Offers many services to help resolve conflicts.

Family Law Alternative Resolution Program (FLARe)
Uses qualified attorneys to listen to both parties, and hopefully resolve their family law dispute.